These past two weeks, Allie has continued to let us know how big she is these days. She keeps us posted on her progress by continuous dialogue in the form of squawking and babbling in the upper register for long stretches at a time, breaking skin with her new teeth (ours, that is, when she gets our fingers), and pulling our shoulders out of socket when we foolishly attempt to lug our not-so-little load around in her carseat. She decided she was big enough to finally meet her mom's college roommate, Regan and her two sons, Loki and Caleb. She was an excellent hostess, which is much more than I can say for our four-legged friend who gave Loki a bit too enthusiastic of a greeting and earned herself an afternoon in the office playing secretary for her dad. Fortunately, Loki is used to large, happy dogs and shook it off like a pro, after all, he is the big 0-2, officially.
 |
| See? Even my belly's bigger. |
 |
| We're not sure what they're looking at, but Caleb and Allie are clearly mesmerized by something. |
 |
| Woah! Hands off the madras, Al! |
 |
| The Smyth boys are trying to show Allie what relaxing/napping looks like. She's not having it. |
 |
| Sure am glad you guys came to see me, Regan. |
|
And, to top it all off, she convinced us that she's big enough to start 'school' now, thank you very much. I started back to work on Wednesday, and Allie started daycare on Monday so we could all get used to the routine. Christopher does the morning drop off, during which he has declared that they take her from him too quickly, and he doesn't like it. I do the afternoon pick-up (I think I scored the better end of that deal). I decided that I deserved a reward for cutting the cord, and walked over to go see the last Harry Potter movie on the big screen with three other people who apparently also had nothing to do at 11:10am on a Monday so that I didn't sit at home pouting. Allie loves her teachers and I feel very comfortable that she's in good hands, so we're all surviving, although Chris is having to adjust to the shock of not having her available for mid-day hugs and kisses since this is the first that he's not had her home with him while he's working. The first day I picked her up, I heard her squawking joyfully from outside the closed classroom door, so I think we've found a good fit :o).
 |
| I'm so ready for my first day of 'school!' Now, if only Mama let's me out of this death grip...that's it...easy does it. |
 |
| Pre-first-day cuddle time with Daddy. (Why yes, we did dress her in an 'Introducing Me!' onesie for the occasion.) |
Saturday, we had a bonus cousin-sighting at Walney Park where Allie and I met up with Jonathan, Brenda and the kids along with friends from church (from my brother's age- bracket...which....is now mine too) whom we hadn't seen in a long time. It was an awesome afternoon and who doesn't like Saturday picnics with hotdogs and hamburgers on a camping grill?
 |
| Old Skool CUMC-Rocky Run Crew (the expanded version!) |
 |
| Alice, you're so sweet, I could eat you right up. In fact... |
 |
| So....sweet... |
 |
| Wait, what just happened? |
 |
| Hah! Just joking, guys...it was just a joke. |
Speaking of camping, our girl was not the happiest camper on Sunday thanks to her two very-soon-to-arrive-top teeth. She's a trooper, but even troopers can have an off day, and today was hers. Feel free to make your appearance anytime, guys. Hopefully the worst is over soon! On an up-note, we've officially entered the wonderful world of veggies and solids! First stop, sweet potatoes. As Rachel Ray would say, 'Yum-o.'
No comments:
Post a Comment